Rob Hartley, Durham, NC
1986 Yellow IROC-Z
- 305 cu. in. (5.0 L) engine (LG4)
- 4 bbl. HO-spec Rochester
Quadra-Jet carb from a Monte-SS
- 125,000 miles; mostly broken in
- T5 manual transmission
- 3.73 Rear end.
- Aluminum dual-plane intake
manifold from a L69 HO engine
- 100% pure testostersone -- Genuine
- 100% emissions legal. (<0.00%
CO, 10.4% CO2, 64 ppm HC)
- Excellent gas mileage: 15-17 mpg
in town. 28-31 mpg on the highway.
- no air conditioning
- no power windows
- no power door locks
- no power mirrors
- no cruise control
- the "vents" are panels
cut in the firewall operated by cables.
- no cassette player -
- Added a stock tape deck
from a 1986 Trans Am.
- heavy-duty clutch
- Monroe Sensa-track shocks and
- Hi-Flo catalytic converter
- 1/3915 Yellow Camaros from 1986
(192,000 total produced). (<2% are yellow. Only 49,585 total IROC's were
made... That means <1000 yellow IROC's total were produced, and means
there are probably <500(?) still roadworthy.)
- First "modification"
- Added a manual fan switch to override the computer control
that manually turns on the electric cooling fan to head off overheating
problems in the summer.
- Second modification from stock
- K&N air filter.
- Accel ignition wires. (yellow,